Apocalypse porn of the 1970s, like The Late Great Planet Earth and Future Shock, push the idea that "my generation" is special. Late Great contends that many people of the past have predicted the end of the world is near, (and though the world is obviously still here), our generation is special! Our generation will truly see the End Times!
The Late Great Planet Earth, like Future Shock, was hosted by Orson Welles. I'm not sure if Welles was just cashing a paycheck or if he believed what he was selling, but as we've seen repeatedly on this blog people seem particularly receptive to apocalyptic messages during tough economic times.
Then, as now, Man believed himself too sophisticated for prophecies. But now, prophetic pattern exist that cannot be forgotten, cannot be ignored.
Previously on Paleo-Future:
- Future Shock (1972)
- Nuclear Holocaust Before 1999
- The 1980s: Countdown to Armageddon
- The Prophetic Year 2000 (1968)
- Nuclear War to Start September 12, 2006
- Future Shock - Babytorium (1972)
- Future Shock - Electrical Stimulation (1972)
- Future Shock - Skin Color (1972)